Thursday, October 2, 2014

October 2, 2014

¡¡Hola mía familia!! 

I cannot believe it has already been a week since I wrote you all! Time here just flies by!!  This week was so amazing. 

So last Thursday night was our last lesson with "Pedro". He is now our night teacher. That is just how awesome of missionaries we are! We baptized, confirmed him, he went on a mission and through the temple all in one day! Jk jk. He just pretends to be an investigator so we can get practice teaching. Oh, his name is Hermano Pineda.

On Friday, we found out we now have two new "investigators". Hermano Lara is Humberto and Hermano Pineda is Fransisco. We also had a service project on Friday. We learned how to fold sheets, like how Grandma Dean taught me. It was pretty cool! All the Hermanas were so excited to practice folding sheets like that.

On Saturday, we had lots and lots of Language study. We also had a Stress Management class. Lol. It was much needed and well received. After almuerzo (lunch) on Saturday, we all started our fast, and fasted until almuerzo on Domingo (Sunday). I have fasted that way before, and it always seems more powerful, and you feel the Spirit much more.

Sunday was fantastic!  As usual, Sacrament Meeting was all in Spanish. On Fast and Testimony Meetings, all of the missionaries get the opportunity to bear their testimonies--in Spanish. The Spirit was so strong. There is a District from our Zone (like our branch) that is leaving next Wednesday, and since General Conference is the Sunday before they leave, they sang in this last Sacrament meeting. They sang Abide With Me, Tis Eventide. (Again, all in Spanish). One of the Elders, Elder Garbero, has a most amazing singing voice. Very very powerful. You could just feel his testimony through his solo.

Also on Sunday, we watched a devotional from Elder Bednar that he gave on Christmas Day in the Provo MTC (a lot of the devotionals we watch are only available to missionaries. You cannot find them anywhere else.)  He spoke about how to obtain the Character of Christ.  He said, "Christ turns outwards when we would turn inwards." He then gave several examples of this, one being the Atonement and events that followed. "Before Christ went into the Garden, he asked his disciples to stay awake and be there for him. Several times, he returned to find them sleeping. He probably felt let down.  During the Atonement, Christ felt every feeling we have or will ever feel in our lives. He suffered for all of the sins we will ever commit. All of this suffering made him bleed from every pore. After he had done this, one of his disciples comes and betrays him with a kiss. He is about to be taken prisoner, when one of the other disciples cuts off the ear of one of the guards. Now think about what you would do. Christ had just been let down by his disciples, suffered more than we as mortals could handle, and was betrayed by another disciple. Most of us would turn inward at this point, and feel sorry for ourselves. But what does Christ do? He heals the ear of the guard. A superficial wound compared for what Christ had just done, but He did it anyway, because when we would normally turn in and feel sorry for ourselves, Christ turns outward and does not think of himself."

This was so powerful. It made me really think of how I can be the best missionary I can be by turning outward when the "Natural Man" in me wants to be selfish and whine.

Elder Bednar also spoke extremely boldly when he said this : "This mission is not for you! It never will be. You need to serve the Lord and turn outward.

After this talk, we had dinner, and then watched "Joseph Smith -- Prophet of the Restoration".  I absolutely love this movie. Presidente Pratt told us to write down our impressions and feelings as we watch. One of the things that really stuck out to me is what Lucy Mack Smith says at the end, "All that I have told you is true and will stand forever." She has always been one of my heroes. When I get to Heaven, I want to go up to her and give her the biggest hug, and tell her thank you for her testimony and example. 

On Monday, we started teaching Humberto. We have taught him twice, and in those two meetings, have talked about why we need the Book of Mormon and why we need to pray to Heavenly Father all the time, not just when we need something. He seems to be doing well.

Ooooh! Also, on Monday, while Hermana Singer and I were studying outside, a construction worker came up to us and asked us how to be baptized. It was very random, and we had to ask  him what he said, because it took us both by surprise. We told him simply that we must have Faith, Repent, and then we will be able to be baptized. He asked if we could teach him that night at 6, and said he would be looking for us.  When we got back to class, we asked Hermano Lara what we should do. He said that we could not teach him here at the CCM, but if we were able to get his address, we could get a hold of the missionaries in the area where he lives, but that we could give him a Book of Mormon and share our testimonies, and tell him that other missionaries would be able to teach him.  So , we went back at 6, but could not find him.. I do not know if he was just messing with us, or sincerely forgot... I hope the latter. But we have not seen him around since... I hope we can get him a Book of Mormon.

Tuesday was Pizza night!! Hoorah! We also had another devotional from Elder Bednar on how to take excellent notes. He related to how and what Nephi and the other Book of Mormon prophets wrote. They had two separate plates, one for generations of kings, wars, etc. and the other for things of the heart, things that God reveals, etc. Elder Bednar said we should take and use the example of the small plates of Nephi, and record only those things that are most precious unto us.  I am so excited for General Conference this weekend. It will be very interesting to use the method Elder Bednar gave us.

Not much happened yesterday. We taught Humberto, for the second time. Had class, and practiced teaching other missionaries. It was still a superb day.

Oh! I almost forgot. If any of you want to send me letters letters, like through the post mail, try using DearElder.com. They are same-day delivery service, and usually are not too expensive, in fact, I think to the MTC is free. I do not know what information you would need, but here is some:
Hermana Dean, District 4A, Mexico MTC. 

I love you all so very much. Thank you all for your wonderful support and love. I know I am where I am meant to be. One of the Elders in my district said something that has stuck with me for quite some time. He was talking about how awesome it is we are all here together. He said he knows none of us are here too early, or too late. That is what stuck out to me. I have been struggling a little, and getting upset at myself for not going on a mission when I was 21, and feel like I am "so old", compared to the other missionaries here.... But I know I am here when Heavenly Father needs me to be. 

I love you all!

Love, 
Hermana Dean


No comments:

Post a Comment