Monday, May 16, 2016

Return to Snowy Utah

Hola Todos!

I'm so sorry for not writing sooner. I have been home from the mission since March, and am still trying to get my life all back in order.

Whew! SO  much has happened since I have been home: my brother, nephew and I went to Comic-con (which was an experience and a half! I LOVED it.), we went to Vegas, my Mother graduated from the University of Utah with her Bachelor's degree in Nursing (after 14 years of hard work! SOO proud of her!), I was called as the Primary Pianist in my home ward (a little nerve-racking because I don't play very well...), and I got offered a job as a Nanny! Whew! I told y'all. A ton has happened.

But before I get on all that, I'd like to take a different turn. Now, I'm going to be 100% honest. Before my mission, I did a lot of reading on Sister Missionary blogs, much like my own, trying to understand just exactly what the mission life would be like. It was really hard. Most of the blogs I found were wonderful, very inspiring, but they didn't seem to include everything. Just the highlights, the good things that happened. Which was wonderful! I loved reading them. But I wanted something a little more real. I wanted to know about the hardships, the tough times, the cry-yourself-to-sleep experiences. I wanted to know what I should expect. I knew then, and most certainly know now, missionary work is not easy. I had doors slammed in my face, people who insulted us, called us mean names...There were some very hard times.

So, my hope is that this blog becomes what I was searching for--Full of the wonderful, Spirit-filled moments, but also including the hard times, for they are truly what make the good times so sweet.

I'd like to continue with this, but on the subject of being an RM-The great life!

One thing that has been on my mind a lot since I have been home is how easy it is to fall back into old habits--not necessarily bad habits, just habits that haven't been a part of my life for the past year and a half. It is so easy to just fall back into old routines. It certainly has been a fight to keep up the habits formed on my mission--morning and nightly prayers, daily scripture study, etc. I'll be honest, I haven't kept up with them as much as I would have liked... but that's okay! I can change and start now.


---


Okay, so back to all the things that have happened. The night I got home, my brother took us all to see Star Wars VI. I LOVED it. Although, it was quite the culture shock. I was sitting there, watching the movie, loving it and cringing at the same time. Quite the experience. Well, the next 3 days, we went to FanX in Salt Lake. It was awesome. Just before I left for the mission, we went to Comic Con, so it was quite fun to go again and get my geek on.

A couple weeks later, we went to Las Vegas to have a break. My brother has a convention he goes to every year, and we all take a trip for the fun of it. The drive is pretty long, but it was worth it. We stayed in Excalibur, which was a lot of fun! The themed hotels are pretty neat. My favorite part of Vegas is the amazing food! Pretty awesome favorite, right? :)

That weekend, my Mami graduated! After 14 years of blood, sweat and tears, she graduated from the University of Utah's College of Nursing with her Bachelor's degree. I cannot express how proud of her I am!! She has worked so hard for all these years and most definitely deserves this.

Hmm. What next? Well, I have been substitute teaching at Quest Academy, which has been a blast. I don't know yet if I want to be a teacher, but substitute teaching has been so much fun.


Well... I think for now, this post will suffice. I hope y'all are doing well.

Until next time!
-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment